Temporary Car Insurance Guide - Perfect For Your UK Summer Staycation
We all thought 2020 was the year of the staycation but it is looking more and more likely that summer 2021 will follow suit. As lockdown is starting to ease and UK staycations can return from April 12th, we’ve put together a guide on temporary car insurance so you can get travelling around the UK again. So, if you’re planning a weekend getaway with your friends or a family holiday to a UK hotspot then learn all about how you could share the driving and/or borrow a car.
What is temporary car insurance?
Temporary car insurance is a time-limited cover that's ideal for when you need to borrow a car at short notice. It is a fully comprehensive cover for cars that can last from 1 hour to up to 28 days. Short-term insurance is the flexible and affordable option for you, whether you need to use a car that you're not already insured to drive which could be borrowing a car, sharing a long drive or collecting a new vehicle. Find out more information here.
How does temporary car insurance work?
Temporary car insurance works the same as your usual yearly policy except there are no longer term contracts and it is only for the time you want the cover for. From just one hour to up to 28 days! When the policy duration you choose is over, it will not automatically renew, the policy will simply expire. However, you will receive a reminder when your cover is about to end so you can quickly and easily purchase more short-term insurance if you wish.
Why would I need temporary car insurance?
As well as a summer staycation, there are a handful of other reasons where temporary car insurance would come in useful, from hourly to daily to weekly.
- In an emergency
- Test driving a new car (Need to sell your car fast? Get the right deal here)
- Driving a new car immediately after buying - (If you need help choosing a new car to buy check out your free MotorEasy account area to find our selection of cars)
- Popping to see friends (after June 21st!)
- Car sharing for work or pleasure
- Temporary cover for young drivers
- Moving house
- Weekend breaks and getaways
- Borrowing a car
- For business
- Sharing a long drive
- Driving on holiday
- Staycations - Check out our top UK beauty spots
Am I eligible for temporary car insurance?
Luckily temporary insurance covers a wide range of drivers! You must meet this criteria to get a temporary car insurance policy:
- You are the holder of a UK or EU driving licence
- You are aged between 18 and 78 years old
- You have held your licence for at least 6 months (12 months for EU licenses)
- Your car is valued between £1,500 and £65,000
How much does temporary car insurance cost?
The great thing about temporary car insurance is that you only pay for what you need! Whilst cover stars as little as £8.99 for 1 hour, prices will vary depending on the driver. You'll be able to find great value quotes that range from hours to up to 28 days, now if you’re planning that staycation or just need hourly cover then get a temporary car insurance quote now.